Denver Gold and Silver Exchange
5475 Leetsdale Dr Suite 210
Denver, Colorado 80246
The Charlotte Mint was a branch of
the United States Mint that came into existence on
March 3, 1835 during the Carolina Gold Rush. The
first gold mine in the United States was established
in North Carolina at the Reed Gold Mine. The United
States Congress approved an Act to establish several
branch mints; the act stated, "...one branch [to be
established] at the town of Charlotte, in
Mecklenburg County, in the state of North Carolina,
for the coinage of gold only...". This Act also
authorized mints at Dahlonega, Georgia, and New
Orleans, Louisiana, after President Andrew Jackson
signed it into law.
In 1836, construction on the Charlotte Mint began.
It opened for business on July 27, 1837. Only raw
gold was processed and refined until March 28, 1838,
when the first $5 gold half eagle was struck in
Charlotte. Later that year, $2 1/2 quarter eagles
were minted, and 1849 production started on a small
gold dollar. All gold coinage coming from this mint
has a "C" mint mark to distinguish it from other
sister mints then in operation. The Charlotte Mint
issued over $5 million in gold coins.
In May 1861, North Carolina seceded from the Union.
The Confederacy took control of the Charlotte Mint.
The Confederate government continued coining
operations until October when it became clear it was
a futile effort. The mint was then converted into a
hospital and military office space for the remainder
of the Civil War.
After the war
Federal troops used the offices for the first few
years of Reconstruction. In 1867, the U.S.
government designated it an assay office. In 1873,
the General Assembly of North Carolina petitioned
Congress to reopen the mint at Charlotte. This
request was denied.
The Assay office operated until 1913 when the gold
supply was quickly dwindling. From 1917 to 1919, the
Charlotte Woman's Club met in the building. It also
served as a Red Cross station during World War I.